Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Say Cheese!

A teacher in my building is retiring this year, and I thought it would be nice to make her a little memory book with handwritten cards and photos of her students and the staff.  I thought it would be easy.  No big deal.   I had no idea that taking pictures of 3rd graders would be so difficult!  So many kids would not smile or even look at the camera!  (See Exhibit A above)  I'm so used to 5 year olds.  If you even walk by a kindergartner with a camera, they strike a pose instantly.  I thought all kids were like that.

So, then I went around to all the teachers and you would not believe how hard I had to work to get them to let me take their picture. I had to beg and deal with:    "I might break your camera." "Do you have
to??!"  "My hair looks awful today!"   Please.  Get over it.  It's just one picture and it's not going on the cover of Vogue.  By the end of the day, I was so emotionally drained and annoyed.

Then...I got home and asked Billy to take a picture of me for the memory book.  Of course, it took about 20 shots and some reapplying of blush and lip gloss for me to settle on one.  (sigh)

2 comments:

  1. HAHA! I tried to get some teachers in my building to video them reading a math question for a video math tutorial -- same issues, pulling teeth. Only the young would do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, if they were in charge of the project they could have thier mug shots airbrushed too. you have to be rewarded for your hard work in some way. hello.

    ReplyDelete